Re: Switch-hand shakes

Glenn writes:

>>Too many years of that [head-shaking] and now I can hear the neck vertebrae
>>grinding when I do that.
>Hmm...I already crack my neck a bit too much.  How long did you say you
>played?

I've played 35 years.  During a period of very heavy playing 2 years ago, my
neck gave me major problems.  It was diagnosed as a ruptured disk, and I was
scheduled for surgery.  I declined.  Out of necessity, I changed the way I
do some things on the harp to minimize head motion, plus I eased my playing
schedule for 3 months or so.  Now I'm essentially symptom-free.  The surgeon
didn't think the injury had anything to do with harp playing.  He said disks
sometimes just to that.  I don't know, but I know I'm in a lot better shape
now.  The surgeon may be an expert on disks, but he doesn't know harp playing.

>>...grab the right end of the harp firmly between the thumb and couple of
>>fingers of my right hand (I hold the harp in my left) and use my right hand
>>to shake the harp.
>
>So you do the 'hand switch' method, too?

It's not really a hand-switch.  Much of the time, my right hand is right there
anyway.  In fact, I don't have to move it at all to grip the harp at the right
end like that.  I use that thumb (underneath)/forefinger (on top) grip for more
things than just shakes, specifically, for fast downward-moving licks.  Also,
the left hand doesn't leave the harp, because it helps in the shake.  The
web of flesh at base of thumb between thumb and forefinger acts as a spring
against which the other end of the harp pushes.

>Do you find it harder to put in
>'snap' (trill,warble, vibrato...pick one).  In other words, do you have to
>plan for it and be ready to switch hands, or have you developed a smoothness
>with it?

I don't remember having to work at this much, I think because there is no real
change in hand position. It seems pretty natural.

>And do you move the harp totally horizontally, or does it move vertically as
>well?

For a slow shake, the harp moves horizontally.  For a fast shake, the motion
is horizontal, but also the right end of the harp moves a bit closer and fur-
ther from my mouth.  There is no vertical motion.

>BTW, y'all, this U-block technique is something else!  Not ready to do much
>with it at a gig, but its already stimulating new riffs, new songs!

>-- Glenn

Glad you like the U-block.  I really got excited when I started, too, because
it does open up so many riff, and particularly rhythmic, possibilities.

	All the best,
	John Thaden