Re: Acoustic Playing with Mic

About this subject...

Thanks to all that have responded so far.  However, all of the responses to
date have delt with this by use of more electronic gadgets.  This was not
exactly what I was looking for.  I have no problem with experimenting with
new gadgets in order to get different sounds ... if I had the money I'd try
every effect I could get my hands on to see what kind of new sounds I could
manage to create.  However, in this particular instance, I was looking more
for technique.  I'm not saying that the responses I've got so far are bad or
anything (thanx, *really*), I guess I just didn't make myself clear enough.

What I'm looking for is different techniques when playing a *clean* harp with
a mic, such as how to hold the harp, how far to play from the mic, etc.  I am
able to play with a decent _wah_ technique acoustically, but when I try to
use a mike, I am unable to pick up this sound effectively.  I am trying to
reproduce that SBWII sound.

For my practice setup, I have my SM58 on a stand and patched directly into my
Mackie which is feeding some studio monitors.  For a performance, my mike
would probably go straight to the PA.  I'm not looking to use any pedals or
anything as this mic would probably be used for vocals 90% of the time and my
harp playing would be through my Astatic into my amp.  Occasionally, however,
I'd like to play the harp 'acoustically'.

I hope I was more clear this time than before.  Looking forward to a
*barrage* of suggestions.  ;-)

Thanx again,

Red