Re: Speaker Replacement

Hey Harpers,
     Call me impulsive, call me penny-wise, pound-foolish, but after trying
a number of different amps and waiting and then then trying a few more and
waiting , I JUMPED and bought a real cool looking, good sounding, ANTIQUE
tube amp.

     Well, when I got home and really worked it, it didn't sound as good as
it did in the store.  Distortion is one thing, but this speaker sounded
like it was gonna blow.  I think it needs a new 10" speaker.  The tubes
seem fine.  I checked the local You-do-it Electronics center and they
showed me "performance" speakers that cost more than a lot of new amps I've
seen.  They had a Speco 10" speaker for around $40, but the frequency
response seemed somewhat limited, it plays from 30hz-10khz.

     Can 10" speakers get any closer to the top end of the audible
spectrum, or is this Speco speaker's response what I can expect if I don't
want to spend much more than $50 on a speaker?  What brands do you
recommend?  Where do you find them?

Thanks in advance,

-Rod-

--
Rod Thomas                              email:   skt2@xxxxxxx
Illustrator                               phone:  (617) 449-0480