Re: Speaker Replacement

Why not remove the old speaker and get it re-coned?  A relatively simple
procedure that doesn't cost much more than $30.00 where I live.  You
don't say what kind of amp you bought or what the original speaker was.
I doubt seriously that the original speaker was very high performance in
terms of its range.  On the back of most speakers there is a code that is
6 digits long.  The first 3 digits are the manufacturers code.  Some
common ones are 220 for Jensen, 328 Utah, 465 Oxford, 067 or 67 for
Eminance, 392 Altec Lansing, 649 Electro Voice.  the 4th digit (sometimes
the 3rd if there are only 5 digits) is the year of manufacture, the last
2 digits are the week.  220730 would be a Jensen manufactured in the 30th
week of 1957,or 1967.  You depend on other contectual clues with the amp
to pin down the decade.  Speakers are a matter of taste. What I like you
may hate.  Could you be more specific in terms of your needs?  How big an
amp how many watts do you play loudly?  Do you really want a wide range
for the sound?  Do you want distortion or stridence?  There are many good
inexpensive new speakers available as well as some truly awful sounding
ones.  I will say that you'll be better off staying away from hi-fi
speakers for musical instrument amplification use.  FJM