Steve Jennings departure

I note with regret the departure of Steve Jennings because of the cost of
his mail service on, I gather, Compuserve.  Where I live, Compuserve is
just about the most expensive possible way to get mail and newsgroups.
Surely someone could recommend to Mr. Jennings a UNIX shell or BBS style
service which provides services on a straight hourly or monthly charge.
Are such services not common in the UK?  If not, someone should get into
the business.

Robert Neville
rneville@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx