Re: improving

<How to improve: listen to yourself; listen to instruments other than
harmonica>

Excellent advice.

I'll enlarge a bit on these points, then share with you the best technique I
know of for playing the best you can.

Listening just to other (older) harmonica players can actually be very
limiting in certain respects!  However great they were, there were certain
traditionally accepted "limitations" that were imposed "back then".  While
not trying to minimize the phenomenal playing of the classic blues players,
it is wise to go beyond this, and not accept traditional limitations, many
of which simply are not there with overblowing or valved harps, different
embouchure techniques that have been discussed at length on the list, etc.

As Chris so eloquently brings out, it pays dividends to think of it as a
medium of expression rather than "just a harmonica".

Little Walter took many of his licks from horn players of his day.  I'm sure
this contributed not only to his licks, but also to his (amplified) sound,
which sounded closer to a sax than a harmonica, and which amazed audiences
when it first came out.

What made these people great was not so much their mastery of what others
were doing as their innovation of something never done previously.  I'm sure
we all know incredible harp players that no one has ever heard of.  While
part of this may be other reasons, oftentimes it's also because the player
is more of a copier than innovator.

If we listen only to blues harmonica, we limit our resources.  If we listen
to jazz, fusion, classical, R&B, soul, rock, and/or even Kenny G (as much
flak as he gets on the list, and as much as I don't care for his style,
there is still much one can learn from him), we have a much larger quiver of
musical arrows to draw from.

The one artist I listen to more than all others is Mike Curtis (me :-)  I
can listen to my good licks and solidify them, my weaker licks and improve
(or eliminate) them, and generally improve my playing.

Also, I always listen to myself with a positive attitude; NEVER a negative,
faultfinding, critical attitude.  I like myself, and my music; as should
every one of us (YOUR music, not mine!) When you have a positive attitude
about your music, it SHOWS - not just live, but even on Memorex! You're more
vibrant, daring, creative, and interesting!  Yes, you'll actually PLAY
BETTER if you have a positive and confident attitude about yourself and your
music.

 -- mike