RE: improving

Chris Michalek writes...

>There was a post I deleted by accident.  It was concerning improving and
>who to listen to to get better.  I want to address this issue by saying:
>You can listen to SBW I-II LW,  Sonny Terry,  Big Walter or anybody until
>your ears fall off.
8<---
>It is equally important, to listen to other instruments.  Do you all
>really think the Walters and Williamsons got really good from listening
>to only harmonica players?
8<---

Sounds like good advice to me. Thanks for putting this on the list. Last
Tuesday when I walked in to Short Harp SIG, Richard Smith was listening to some
old big band albums and writing down the keys, etc. His intention was to later
listen, play along, and try to learn some of the riffs.
Guess I'll have to dig out some of my old Columbia Record Club 33 1/3 vinyl.

I guess I had never really thought about it but a lot of the songs I play on
harmonica are adaptations of (non-harmonica) songs I listend to as a kid or
sang in school choir - all committed to a photographic memory. Problem is my
recall isn't worth a paper shirt in a bear fight. :-)

Jack E.