Re: improving/the sky is crying

In message "improving/the sky is crying", you write:

> > <"No rules" in music??>
> >
> I thought I said no rules within certain parameters...1-4-5...2-5-1...
> Sorry if I left something out.  What I ment by no rules is, you don't
> have to copy everybody else and if you want to write a song with odd time
> sigs and wierd changes then do so.
>
> Chris Michalek

As a beginner I got a lot from this "No rules" statement.  I didn't take
it literally, nor did I think it meant that way.  As an engineer I have
tried to tackle the harp and music in the same manner as science: seeking
exact answers for specific questions.  Sometimes this is fruitful, but then
I run into an answer like, 'you gotta feel it man'. Or 'its not what notes
but how you play 'em daddy-o'. Or words to that effect :)  I figured thats
what Chris meant by, no rules.  As a beginner, I certainly
need musical rules, as I can't just 'feel' it enough to improvise on my
own, but I took into account that Chris is more experienced than me and
read his advice accordingly.

conrad           conradg@xxxxxx