Notation/Sequencing Software

     I've been following the software thread with interest.  At SPAH '94 I
     saw someone perform on chromatic accompanied by his own arrangements
     composed and played back through a laptop computer.  I think the setup
     was from computer thru a Roland Sound Canvas sequencer on to the PA.

     That leads to a question:  for composition and self-accompaniment in
     performance, what is the smallest and easiest to setup and run
     configuration of hardware/software.  (I hate carrying lots of heavy
     gear around -- why do you think I took up harmonica in the first
     place?)  Does anyone on the list ever perform with such computer
     assistance.

     Some related observations:  I once saw someone playing in a major harp
     competition with a self-composed audio cassette.  Unfortunately, the
     playback was a quarter tone off pitch, and nothing could correct the
     problem on site.  His performance was naturally an embarassing
     disaster.  I myself was once asked to perform one number at a big
     company function.  I practiced Summertime ahead of time with the
     equipment just to be safe.  At performance time, I discovered that the
     tape played back at a slightly different speed and wasn't in tune with
     the harp anymore.  I stuck to singing and had to put the harp away.
     Turns out that the equipment was a karoake setup (everyone else was
     singing from music minus one tapes) with a variable pitch knob, which
     was misset for my number.  I'll never trust audio tape accompaniment
     again.  Maybe the computer/sequencer setup, if it's small and
     convenient enough, will solve this problem -- as well as providing
     lots of other musical options as well, such as preparing simple lead
     sheets for band members, etc.

     Thomas "Tomcat" Colvin
     Manila, Philippines