Re: Beginner question: type of harp?

Blues Harps don't last for me either.  I disagree about breaking in being
required but I re-set all the offsets on my harmonicas then arc the reed
and retune so perhaps I accomplish much of what is accomplished by
breaking in.  I usually don't like Special 20's and I'm very aware that
this is a subjective call.  I do have a set of Special 20 reed plates I
like installed in a Filisko square hole custom.  Offsets set to my style
of playing and tuned up a bit with the octaves tuned even and the chords
tuned more closely to just.  One of the main reasons I quit playing
Hohner harmonicas was the tendency for them to flat after initial use.
Somewhat unfair on my part since almost all harmonicas should be retuned
from the factory.  I ended up with Lee Oskars which were tuned sharper to
begin with.  Eventually I ended up tuning and I re-tune the Lee Oskars
out of the box too.  I've said this before but virtually no other serious
musicians use un-setup instruments.  The first thing guitar players do
after they acquire a new axe is set the action and or change the strings
to a gauge they prefer.  Harmonica players ought to be taught the same
thing from the get go.  I know I threw a way  a gross or two of perfectly
fine harmonicas that could have been retuned or gapped to my liking if I
had simply known what to do.  One of the very nice things about the new
Hohner MS series is the ability to mix and match reedplates across the MS
line of bodies.  If they fix the protruding reedplate edge they might
have a fine set of instruments on their hands again.  If I were looking
for good cheap harmonicas I'd try the Hohner Big Rivers now allegedly
available in all the keys.  Good bang for the buck there.  I have an A
that I really like.  Tim Moody has also said good things about the Big
Rivers.  Huang Silvertones and Star Performers are also decent and CHEAP.
I believe I recently read that Mark Ford uses these because he hates
anything but new harmonicas and usually tosses his kit at the end of the
night.  This in an interview with Tom Ellis lll of Tom's Mics fame.  Good
work Tom and the interview is in the current issue of the American
Harmonica Newsletter.  Anyone needing subscription info can check the
harmonigopher/web page or e-mail me direct. fjm