Re: A fifth above??

> ate: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 12:34:48 -0500
> From: "MaryLarryCarleighReilly Pratt"
> Subject: A fifth above??

> - ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C2AA7F.AEA7DB80
>
> Glenn Weiser posted in his excellent review of the Little Walter =
> biography "......blues is usually played in a key a fifth above the key =
> of the harmonica."
>
> When I play in second position on a C harp, am I not playing in the key =
> of G?  Wouldn't that be a fifth below the key of the harmonica?=20
>
> Regards to all,
>
> Larry Boy Pratt

I replied offlist, but the essence is G is five steps above C. Second position is a fifth above or a fourth below 1st position. F is a fifth below C. The book says the blues key is fourth above the key stamped on the harp, which is incorrect. Scotts Dirks was informed of this and will try to correct it in the second edition, as well as the other error I caught.

Again, a very minor goof-a great book.

Glenn Weiser
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harppage.htm