XMAS SONGS

Hi Everyone,
For as long as I can remember, I used to play allot of Christmas songs when
this time of year rolled around.
These familiar melodies pose some interesting challenges when played on the
"blues harp".
"We Three Kings" starting on the 6 draw. Could be 4th position? It works out
well until you need a Bb (on a C harp) in the middle register. You can skip
this note until you learn to get the Bb by bending the 6 blow.
"Greensleeves" starting on the 4 draw, would be 3rd position,
can be played "bluegrass style" but needs that tricky 6 blow bend, or
"overblow", has some real juicy 6 draw bends that you can use. If you start
on the 6 draw, in 4th position, you can play the entire melody without
bending a note, in mostly the upper register.
There are many more tunes that are allot less difficult, that sound great
when played on the harmonica. I think most of these work best in 1st
position.
"Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" can be played in 2nd position in a bluezy
style, but it is difficult getting the many exact bent notes required. It is
much easier to play in 1st position.
Anyway, the challenge of playing the "blues harp" in minor keys becomes
easier when the melodies are very familiar.
Most of us know these melodies better then we know any others and this
offers us a good opportunity to learn to play in different keys.
Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy Harmonica

Bob Meehan