Re: tube question

Daniel,
    Power tubes wear out faster.  Pre-amp tubes don't have to be changed unless they go
noisy, short out, arc, or just sound plain lousy.  If you like the sound of the amp, I'd
leave the pre-amp tubes alone.  Pre-amp tubes can last quite awhile, especially if
they're the older US or Western European manufactured NOS tubes.
    Power tubes are another story.  If they do short out, they can sometimes take other
components with them (such as the screen resistors).  Usually you'll have some warning
such as visible arcing inside the tube, weak power, and weak frequency response.  Age
has little do with wear, it's use.  Tubes will last forever if not used so you can't
judge by 5 years.  If you used the amp regularly, (say gigging every weekend, and
rehearsing once or twice a week) for 5 years, you're probably due for a power tube
change.  If the amp hasn't seen much use in 5 years, then don't sweat it.  Also, the
type of tubes and type of amp has a lot to do with it.  Again US or WE NOS tubes will
tend to outlast the newer Russian and Chinese made tubes, 6L6 GC tubes will outlast 6L6
WGB or GB or 5881 tubes, especially in amps with higher plate voltages.  For instance,
my silverface Super Reverb, which has high plate voltages, went through a set of NOS 6L6
WGB's in about 6 months, but I've had a pair of JJ 6L6 GC's in there now for over a
year, still going strong.  The JJ's are rated to withstand much higher plate voltages.
If you have a local amp tech with a good tube tester, pull the tubes and have them
tested.

Hope this helps some,
Don D.