Re: Pro Junior tube swap

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Todd" <tuberadio3@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2002 3:53 PM
Subject: Pro Junior tube swap

> Happy Holidays to one and all!
> I  just got a new non-tweed Pro Junior (1X10 @ 15 watts) and want to
> boost the harp volume I can get before feedback.  In the archives,
> knowledgeable folks sometimes recommend switching the 12AX7's for
> 12AU7's.  I have never swapped out tubes before.  Is it as easy as: 1)
> unplug amp  2)  remove 12AX7's  3) replace with 12AU7's  4)  plug in
> amp and blow ??
> I also plan to play guitar through this amp.  I see so many other
> guitarists/harmonicists on the list these days. I wonder if my guitar
> sound will lose commensurate treble tones (I play in a Robert Junior
> style -- very few ripping post-Hendrix single string high leads -- more
> of a pre-60's Memphis Sonny Boy ensemble sound, if that makes sense).
> Any suggestions/ directions or tube brand recommendations would be much
> appreciated -- even a reputable online dealer's URL.
> Thanks very much for any help here, and have a great New Year everybody!
> Dan Todd

Hi Dan,
The only preamp tube I'd consider replacing is the 1st 12AX7 (still sounds
great with harp with this tube, as well as guitar), but I would substitute
it with an NOS 12AY7/6072, preferably an NOS GE black plate. Some gain will
be cut, mostly from the top end, but for harp you'll be able to turn it up
more. The original setup has more top end to it tho, and many guitarists
will prefer this, but if you're playing guitar with this, like harp, you'd
turn the tone control ALL the way down, and then completely rolling off the
treble on the guitar.

Changing preamp tubes are pretty easy, but just remember to make sure the
amp is OFF when you change the tubes, and once you've changed them, get a
lint free paper towel to wipe off any finger prints so it prevents hotspots
on the tube which can eventually damage them. If you can afford it, go with
NOS USA or Western European tubes because 99% of the time they will not only
sound better, but last considerably longer than most of the stuff made today
in China and Russia (with the exception of those made by Svetlana, which IS
a well made tube).

Hope this helps. Contact me off line if have any questions.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA

Introducing NetZero Long Distance