Walter's Primitive Period

  I guess it was 1961 and I was at boot camp (Gt Lakes). Would slip down to
ChiTown on the weekends and catch "Lil' Walter". He couldn't have been even
40 at the time. Some nights he looked older, played so-so, and was
obviously oblivious. Other nights he looked neat and played out of my mind,
and seemed straight. Definitely a Jekyl & Heyde type.

  I had made a statement at a harmonica function where I was listening to
several youngsters playing. "You guys are doing some almost impossible
things. Shows ME that the harp players of today are better than those from
the past".

  John Frazier diplomatically cautioned me that if it werem't FOR those
players of the past we would HAVE no harmonica-world as we know it. A very
astute statement.

  See, the old timers didn't know about 3rds, 5ths, 7ths, etc. They just
knew how to play. I don't know whether it's because they practiced more, or
had more of an aptitude, or more soul, more pain, and I don't really care.
They just KNEW their harps and what they could get from em. Just like any
"Beginning" musician, they went through a PRIMITIVE PERIOD. Thing was, they
NEVER got PAST that period. This is why their stuff is so hard to
duplicate. COPY? yes, but duplicate their primitive..off-beat..break-meter
style?..no.

  Players today are more educated, more technically pure, more
mathematically correct, less in pain (?), have fewer "Axes" to grind, less
yada yada yada. They do. however, get the music out "Technically" more
correctly. Sometimes it just seems a little repititous and bland though.

  Glenn (none the) Weiser said no one is "dissing" Walter (or ANY of the
oldsters) for their negatives. He (& lots of others) are right on the money
when they say we should remember them for their contributions to our
"Almost Mystical" instrument. We have an instrument that can make you cry
OR  make your skin crawl at the drop of a pin. It's a love affair, enjoy
it........smokey-joe & the Cafe s