Re: Thanks: High "A"; Making Bass Harps

Arthur,
I used Hohners MS Big River low D and tuned several of them down to a low
Db, low C, Low B and a low Bb. It took quite some time and PATIENCE!!!! I
used my dremel with a fine tuning bit and stayed in the center of the reed,
and drew a line from the back of the rivet pad to about half way up the
reed.  I almost went through the reed. I then used my shofu brownie wheel to
polish the reed for the final tuning.

These have a Big Bass sound with the titanium comb set up with Meisterclasse
Covers.
So far the Low Bb and Low Db have held up fantastic for the last year. A
reed on the Low B and C gave out. Broke right off from the rivet pad due to
taking too much off.

You need a light attack on these Low tuned  harps. The reeds on the Low Bb
will hit the covers with the slightest increase in attack.

I wanted to keep the reed profile the same with out adding anything to the
tip of the reed to tune it down. I am sure the reeds would have been hitting
the covers more frequently if I had gone this route.

When ever I play the low Bb through my TOA -PA with a SM58  mic with the
volume turned up, it turns heads. Big Bass Sound!!!

Stay tuned!
Mark LaVoie

lavoie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.middlebury.net/lavoie/