Re: How much for a gig

Kenny,

Rates will vary wildly, depending on where you are
geographically (what city), how well you're known
in your area, they type of gig (bar vs. wedding
etc.), what night the gig falls on (Tuesday night
vs Saturday night vs New Year's Eve), how
financially flush the venue is, how generous the
bar owner is, how many people actually show up to
your gig, how well you are recieved, whether or not
this is your fist gig at a particular venue, the
mood of the bar owner, the mood of the crowd, the
state of the economy, the phase of the moon and
your Zodiac sign.

In my area, "scale" pay is supposedly $100 per band
member per night, but many bar owners don't
recognize scale pay.

My (five-man) band typically gets anywhere from
$150 to $300 (occasionally $500) a night. $600 for
a big/flush house. More for "big bar night" like
New Year's Eve. Even more for private gig like a
corporate party or wedding.

'Course if we were any ~good~ we'd likely make some
real dough. ;-)

It's tough sometimes, packing up PA equipment at 2
am after performing a 4-hour gig, with only $30 in
your pocket to show for it.

I do it because I love it. Don't give up your day
job.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.