REPOST: NY Reedsters -- Thanks to Rob & Wade

This is a re-post of a message I attempted to post yesterday. I got a
message delivery failure notice on it and I realized I sent it to
harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxx If this message is a repeat, I apologize, but I wanted to
amke sure it went through:

I had the wonderful pleasure of attending the NY Reedsters gathering on
Sunday. This is my third one, and all I can say is that they keep getting
better and better.

I would describe it like this: imagine getting a bunch of the top harmonica
players from all different musical styles together in an art-filled loft to
hang out, talk, have fun and jam together. There ya have it.

I wont be able to mention everyone, because there were so many. But some of
the highlights for me were William Galison and Howard Levy playing together
on My Funny Valentine, Joe Filiskos train medley, Robert Bonfiglios solo
classical selections, Wade Schumans solo eclectic performance that blended
American folk styles with Middle Eastern tonalities, and the harp trio
playing fiddle tunes (including Rick Epping, Bob Meehan, and another
gentleman whose name I didnt get).

Robs band, The Hudson River Rats, provided back up for a lot of the
players. This included the legendary drummer Bernard Purdie, who has played
on so many great albums you almost need an entire web site to list them all.
  His playing just might be THE definition of in the pocket drumming.

A young Frenchman currently living in DC, whose name I believe is Francois
(Rob  help me out) blew everyones minds with his diatonic technique. He
played jazzy pop renditions of Stevie Wonder tunes and blues. What really
impressed me, beside the fluidity and chromaticism of his technique, was his
approach to the blues. His phrasing was unique and fresh and showed this old
dog that there are still new ways to play blues on a diatonic harp.

Like I said, I wont be able to mention everyone there, but other greats who
played or were just hanging out included Charlie Leighton, Cham-ber Huang,
Steve Guyger, Dennis Gruenling (whos getting married next month
congratulations!), and more that in my ignorance I may not know.

Rick Epping brought a prototype of the XB40 and, besides being a great tool
for playing chromatically on a diatonic harp, has a very sweet tone. Rick
demonstrated its qualities both in the trio setting I mentioned above, and
in a solo performance in which he played harp on a neck rack while
accompanying himself on the concertina. The entire place was entranced by
his solo playing.

Wade Schuman, whose loft was the venue for the last few Reedster events, is
filled with Wades unique taste for furnishings and decorations, and for his
extensive harmonica collection. Besides being a great harmonica player, Wade
is an extremely talented artist, and his paintings on the walls behind the
players provided a fascinating visual counterpoint to the outstanding music
being performed.

So, once again, I want to thank Rob Paparozzi and Wade Schuman for
coordinating and hosting this unique collection of music, people, and
friendship. In a time when there are so many uncertainties and disturbing
world events, this was a welcome relief and just great fun.

Thanks!!

Jimbeau