Re: How much for a gig

Kenny asks:
> If I was good enough to headline a small group. What could I
> expect to get paid?

OOOOH, I thought you meant, how much do you have to PAY for a gig...  ;-)

Seriously, though, Alec and Larry Boy and Mojo and Little Johnny gave some good
guidelines, and since they're actually doing it, that's the best insight you
could hope for.  I will add though, that it can vary a lot depending on where
you gig.  I lived for many years in Austin, TX, the self-proclaimed "Live Music
Capital of the World".  The truth is that Austin is one of the toughest towns to
try to make it in a band, largly because there are so many bands and venues.  It
is not uncommon for people to go to a local hot spot like Sixth Street and walk
from club to club and check out the bands for a few minutes.  Many of these
clubs don't have cover charges and little-known bands will play for tips.  I
remember once walking in to Maggie Mae's and seeing Gary Primich with the Manish
Boys.  Some metal band was playing next door.  I think all this conspires to
keep the music quality low, since there is no incentive of "success".  I once
had a friend who visited from the DC area, and he told me that well-known bands
could get $1000/night if they had a demonstrated drawing capability.  No one
makes $1000/night in Austin, except maybe regional acts like Gary Primich.  Gary
certainly paid his dues to get to that point.  Choose your location carefully!

- -tim