Re: What constitutes "blues"?

- --- IronMan Mike Curtis <ironman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> What makes a song "blues"?

Thank you, IronMan, for a thought-provoking post.

Inevitably, as an educated white guy, you offer a
rather academic perspective on what is inherently a
non-academic subject, but you make some great
points. It's pretty hard to really put your finger
on exactly what ~is~ the Blues. Yes, it's a
feeling, but it's more than that. I don't pretend
to fully understand it... I just "know it when I
hear it." Lame, I know.

I'd suggest that readers who might be interested in
listening to some real-deal recorded examples of
the roots of blues might check out the field
recordings of Alan Lomax.

There is a great CD available called "Southern
Journey: Voices from the American South (vol 1),"
put out by Rounder Records (#1701). On it there are
examples of rural blues, ballads, hymns, reels,
shouts, chanteys and work songs...

Performers include:
Sid Hemphill, Hobart Smith, Fred McDowell, Uncle
Charlie, Bessie Jones, Rev. Crenshaw, John Davis,
and the Belleville A Capella Choir

Great stuff!

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens