Re: What constitutes "blues"?

From: "M. N." <mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Good question. I bet the folks on a blues list would have a lot to say
about
> it.

Being a long-time blues-l member, I'd say probably *wayyy* too much ;-)  I
can also guarantee there'd end up being a lot of arguing.  Some feel that
"real blues" encompasses only a very narrow range of music, i.e. only
Chicago blues, etc.

My purpose in posting was not to argue, but simply to point out (as Charlie
did rather succinctly - "...if it feels like blues, it's blues - period")
that blues is much more than a fixed format of chord changes and bars.  I
also hoped to start a discussion of what constitutes "blues", and
specifically some things we all can work on specifically to improve our
blues.

And yes it's a harp list, but arguably most here are into blues at some
level.  Even jazz musicians need to know how to play blues, according to
Miles Davis ("If you can't play blues, you can't play <bleep>."

I touched on microtones in blues, and why IMHO a lot of blues wanna-be's are
weak in this area, as well as some specific exercises to improve in this
area.  I purposely left some areas untouched, in the hope that the more
experienced blues players would chime in with tips, exercises, listening
suggestions, and such.  That's one of the nice features about harp-l - we
have a nice range of musicians, each with a unique viewpoint.

BTW some LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
(and - hint hint - we're looking to tour)

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade, various times   Email my Cellphone
for specifics (130 chr's max-keep it SHORT) ironmanc@xxxxxxxxx