Re: How much for a gig

Asking "how much should I get paid for a gig" is sort of like asking
"how much should I pay for a steak dinner?"  The answer depends on a
heck of a lot of factors.

I'm in a weekend band playing the local blues clubs plus I do fill-in
for other groups.  In the past month I've made as much as $200 on one
gig and as little as $35 on another (3 hour fill-in for some friends.)
One night I went and sat in with a particular group for 4 full sets for
free -- because I enjoy the group that was playing, they're top of the
heap and appearing with them is a kudo, and their style stretches me.
I considered it a fun investment that could lead to better things.

I've often said "I play for free.  What I charge for is to haul all
this equipment around, setup and teardown."

Regards,

HWY