Re: Newbee Qs

Hey Steve,
I too am new to this chat line thing but will try to be of some help.

DRY LIPS: I never drink alcohol before or during playing (I know it sounds
impossible). The alcohol tends to dry out my lips and "fatten" my tongue.
With practice maintaining a slight moisture on your lips will eventually
become second nature to you as will having to lick your lips less and
knowing when to do so.

I use plastic as opposed to wood comb harps for stage playing because the
wood tends to draw moisture. There is also the side effect of the comb
swelling which on several occasions has cut my lips.

BEST HARP FOR ACCOUSTIC: Every harp player has their own opinions so here's
mine. I like cheap Huang harps for abusing on stage. If I blow them out...
so what? My favorite overall harp is the Hohner Special 20. It combines a
good tone out of the box with durability and medium price. For acoustic I
play my old Marine Bands which I believe are the best sounding harp there is
ONCE THEY HAVE BEEN PROPERLY BROKEN IN. Mine are about twnety years old. I
bought them new and use them only on my back porch.

CUPPING: I'm not much help here. I have medium size hands and they fit a
bullet mic or hands-only cup quite well.

HARP LIBRARY: Again, every harp player has their favorites. here's a few of
my favorite albums and/or solos.
WALTER HORTON: FINE CUTS great album
MUDDY WATERS: anything with the songs "I Just Want to Make love to You" and
"Standin around cryin" on it. Little Walter's first note in the harp solo in
"I Just Want to Make love to You" is unbelievable.
JOHNNY WINTER: WHITE HOT AND BLUE There is a harp solo in the song "Last
Night" which has always floored me.
PAUL BUTTERFILED "born in chicago". great solo in that song
SONNY TERRY gcountry blues harp player.
CHARLIE MCCOY his version of "Orange Blossom Special" rips.

I am not into super fast players with really clean tone. I appreciate their
technique but I am from Chicago and am partial to the great tone players
associated with this area. My two favorites are Little Walter and Big Walter
Horton (actually Big Walter tops the list for me).

LAST TIPS FOR A NEW PLAYER
1. break your harps in gently
2. don't get caught-up in being a harp techno geek. Micro tuning,
overblowing, blah blah blah. Just play and FEEL.

Good luck, and may God lead you to an original '59 Fender Bassman amp in a
garage sale for $50.00.