RE10 and low impedance

Ben wrote:
> Hearing nice things about the Electro-Voice RE10 mic, I wondered -- if it's
> a low-impedance mic like the SM57 -- how RE10 users handle amplification.
> Straight to the PA? Or to an amp with a transformer? Or a pre-amp? Thanks...

This mic was popularized by none other than Carlos del Junco.  According to
sources on Carlos web site, and his own description of his setup on his Harmony
Central review of the Spirit Harp amp, he says he runs his RE-10 through a
Roland RE-501 Tape Echo effects unit, which has high- and low-impedance inputs
(including XLR) for mics and instruments.  I presume this effect outputs a
line-level signal that can then be run into the '59 reissue Bassman (modded with
point-to-point wiring) or Spirit Harp amplifiers that he uses.

The E-V RE-10 has been out of production for several years, and commands a
premium price used, probably because of demand from harp players who have heard
Carlos.  I've seen them go for upwards of $175, and am still kicking myself from
missing one that went on ebay a couple of weeks ago for $45.

- -tim