notes from a music clinic

As some of you know I am in the process of getting my teaching degree in Music Education.  I just attended a music clinic that was conducted by a world class trumpet player and educator from University of North Texas.  His name is Dr. J. Keith Johnson.
Although he is a trumpet player and not a harmonica player, the principles that he taught on still apply regardless of the instrument you play.  Here are some of the notes that I jotted down.
Please remember that he focused his teachings on a room full of music educators, prespective music educators and professional musicians.

Dr Johnson referred to two main skill that are critical for success when playing a wind instrument.
the first is the skill of listening.  Listening is the basis to everything you do as a musician.  If you don`t` listen to enough musis, start.  The more you improve you tonal memory, the better the TWO instruments you use will sound.  The two instruments he was referring to is the instrument in your head and the one in your hand.  It seems that we are always trying to get the instrument in our hand to sound like the one in our head.  The more listening you do the better those two instruments will come together.  He also stressed the importance of singing whatever you are playing and practicing.  the more you sing, the better you tonal memory retains it.  So sing!!   Don't give excuses that you can't carry a tune and all that, just sing.

The second skill he referred to was breathing.  Dr. Johnson said that you breathing should be "full and free flowing."  He demonstrated on a breathing device that I think is used for measuring the efficency of breathing.  It is a cylindrical piece of plastic with a plastic tube coming from it with a white ball...like a ping pong ball in it.  It costs about $15.00.  He uses this gizmo before he ever picks up his trumpet.  It is always part of his warmup routine.
Proper breathing is in the very center of what Dr. Johnson teaches.  He showed the students he worked with and all of us in the audience how proper breathing can make all the difference in you playing...I was impressed.

The final thought that I wrote down was that Dr. Johnson expressed the importance of becoming a fine musician first and an instrumentalist second.  To refer this to the harmonica, it is more important to become a fine musician that plays the harmonica than to be a fine harmonica player that is also a musician.  In other words, becoming a fine musician should be first and you skills on whatever instrument will come.  If it is done the other way around, the outcome will not be the same.

regards,
Roger Gonzales
aka "Gonzo"