tonguing

Yo Harpers,
    I play using the "tongue-block" by having my tongue block
two or three holes and sounding the hole to the right of my 'block', or,
sometimes, to the left.
        Now to the term "tonguing", should my tongue tap on the harmonica
holes used, or tap on the roof of the mouth just above the upper teeth ? ?
Both seem to have a near similar effect, but for me the 'above the teeth'
method is so much easier.  Which way do you more knowledgeable folk do it ?
                                                                    Thanks,
bg