Breath Flow Gizmo

I'm pretty sure Roger's instructor must have been referring to a
"peak flow meter", often recommended for use by sufferers of asthma,
COPD [Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease], and the like.
Therefore, you can usually buy one over-the-counter at your local
pharmacy.  One I know of is made by Omron and sells for around $25 on
the Net.  Also, newer ones these days may not have the floating ball
arrangement, but rather a slider and scale, [some more expensive ones
are digital, I believe,] that measures your PEFR, or peak expiratory
flow rate.

Hope that helps.

Bobbie