Unusual Amp. Mod question

Dear Harp-L Folks,

I have a somewhat unusual problem vis a vis amp. volume. I play with an
acoustic guitarist and a pedal steel player (folk, blues stuff). We
usually play in coffee houses, etc. (small venues, relatively quiet). I
play some songs through an SM57 into the PA but we also do some blues
things where I like to have a bit more of a distorted sound. I've been
using a great little amp (a '59 Gibson Skylark) with an Electrovoice
638. I love this combination, the tone is crunchy but not TOO
distorted. The problem is that even this little 5 watt amp can be TOO
LOUD! It's got surprising volume for such a small amp, and if I get it
past 4 or so on the volume pot it's too much. It's frustrating to not
be able to get the tone I want out of the amp, but I can't drown out my
band mates either. Our guitarist said it might be possible to have an
amp. tech. wire a (switchable) resistor to the speaker line that would
allow me to keep the tone at a lower volume. Has anyone done this? I'm
really reluctant to meddle with this amp and I don' t want to do this
if it won't make a significant difference. I also thought about using a
Harp Commander (either with the amp, or just with the SM57 into the
PA), but I'd really like to know if it would help my volume problem
before spending that kind of money. Any thoughts? I know harp players
usually have the opposite problem (can't get enough volume), so maybe
this is a rare situation.

Thanks,
Grant Kester
gkester@xxxxxxxx

p.s. my apologies for any multiple postings of this query; I mistakenly
used the old "garply" heading when I first tried to send it.