CD review repost (Levy-Molinaro)....corrected

Hello Freinds,

        Sorry for the re-post, but I had a few typos....thanx

I apologize for the bandwidth, but I created this review especially for
Harp-L, I should put in the usual disclaimer that I have no financial
affiliation with this project and I present this solely as a service to our
community here at Harp-L.

A CD Review "The Molinaro - Levy Project : LIVE"

A new recording by Anthony Molinaro (Piano) and Howard Levy (Diatonic
Harmonica)

By Rob Paparozzi

To order contact: http://www.nineteeneight.com/

Other related sites:

www.anthonymolinaro.com

www.levyland.com

         When I think of "duet" records, a few favorites come to mind, first
is one Bill Evans did with Tony Bennett called "Together Again", and second is
Bill Evans and Toots Thielemans, an LP titled "Affinity".  Why are these two
my favorites? Because of the Chemistry that is captured by the two artists,
the interplay is spontaneous yet perfect. Though one is a Vocal and Piano and
the other Harmonica and Piano, it really doesn't matter, it's the intertwined
coalition of ideas that spawns these beautiful interpretations of timeless
Standards and original works.

     Now, another duet recording has struck my interest in the same way, The
Molinaro-Levy project. I guess I should provide a little background first on
these two world-class musicians:

            Anthony Molinaro is a classically trained Pianist and winner of
the prestigious Naumburg International Piano Competition in 1997. He has
performed Bach, Mozart and original concertos with acclaimed symphonies around
the world. But his credentials don't stop there; Anthony is equally at home
playing improvisational Jazz in a way that combines his years of classical
training with fresh original ideas.

            Howard Levy (a Pianist in his own right) is a Grammy-Award winning
artist, and is featured on this recording on Diatonic Harmonica (aka Blues
Harp) only. Howard has pioneered new techniques enabling the 'Blues Harp' to
be played modally and chromatically. Levy also plays Mandolin, Guitar and Sax
and Pennywhistle and Jaw Harp. He was a founding member or Bela Fleck and the
Flecktones and has recently performed his own concerto for Diatonic
Harmonica.

   The CD is a culmination of 4 "live" performances, since the duo started
performing last year (2002). The Standards range from Ellington and Miles to
Gerswhin all with very 'original' interpretations and arrangements. The
Originals are by both artists with one collaboration.

            The CD starts out with a very unique arrangement of Miles Davis'
"All Blues", Howard plays a  dazzling bluesy (Train meets Trane) solo intro,
when the Piano joins in they have fun with some unique 'stops' on the
'Head'(melody)...and then its off to the races! Anthony's last solo is an
amazing study in right-left hand coordination; Howard can't resist overlaying
soaring arpeggios bringing us down for a very smooth landing.

            Next up is a Molinaro composition titled "19/8", in the liner
notes Anthony explains how this piece which after going through several meter
changes end ups in 19/8. Anthony was inspired by JS Bach, Legeti and Prokofiev
and will use this piece to lay the groundwork for the last movement of his
forthcoming piano concerto. What is so mesmerizing about this piece is his
ostinato bass line more powerful than a locomotive! Molinaro has impeccable
time and this enables both of them to play off this amazingly pulsed left hand
line.

            The 3rd and 4th tunes are Gershwin's' "Prelude #2" and
"Summertime", and are basically Molinaro's interpretations. These pieces allow
for much Bluesification of the melody which Howard accomplishes so 'warmly'.
On the Prelude, Howard uses a Low F# Diatonic and it really sits well.
'Summertime' is exquisitely performed by these two in a VERY non-traditional
manner which Anthony attributes to the spiritual vibe he feels from Bach's
music when he rearranged this Gershwin classic.

            "Amazonas" is a Levy original that was inspired after he viewed an
Aerial Photo of the incredible Xingu River that flows into the Amazon.
Howard's love for Brazilian music is obvious in this beautifully flowing
melody which seems quite river-like with all the "twists and turns"...Howard
plays this piece on a C harmonica.

            If I had to describe this next tune in 4 words it would read:
"Duke in a Mug". Howard uses a low Eb on this beautiful Ellington Ballad:
"Mood Indigo", using a Coffee Mug as mute and the texture of the Harmonica
becomes Trombone like, but with all the Bluesy bends a 'Bone' just doesn't
have!

            The second Miles tune "Solar", is unlike the other tunes as they
didn't pre-arrange the song and it was totally improvised. It's in Cm and
Howard uses a Bb Harmonica. There's evidence here of a "telepathic
arrangement", each sending musical signals to other, when the conversation
ends so does the song!

            "Donna Lee" was Charlie Parker's re-creation of  the old "Back
Home in Indiana", This is the duo's  reshaping of both of these tunes.
Howard's solo intro touches on his Harmonica Concerto with some "Break-Neck"
arpeggios that segue into a rubato version of "Indiana"  with some haunting
double stops by Levy. Anthony enters with his array of almost metronomic
arpeggios and Howard joins in over that which bops into "Donna Lee"  at a very
quick tempo, quite a unique  medley arrangement.

            "Sketchy" is the original collaboration of a tune based on "Rhythm
Changes", Anthony's piano combines a unique take on "Stride" piano and Levy
has no trouble keeping up with this energetic arrangement.

            The Finale, it turns out is a medley of two old American tunes:
"Amazing Grace" into "America the Beautiful" and it also happens to be a live
Radio Broadcast when the duo first performed together. Anthony points out in
the notes and I agree totally, "Timeless songs and Soulful Harmonica playing
ARE an awfully good mix"....

            So there you have it, I just added another CD to my favorite
'Duets' list, of course there are many I haven't mentioned like Sonny &
Brownie, Karin Krog & Dave McKenna...so many great musical couples have teamed
up and made two people sound almost 'orchestral' and beyond, here yet is more
evidence.  Molinaro and Levy seamlessly weave us thru profound standards as
well as original pieces with ideas culled from their vast musical
experiences..check it out for yourself, and enjoy...as I did!!

Rob Paparozzi