RE:shipping a large amp

Noticed the discussion about care in packaging amps for shipping,
including some comments that certain extra precautions would probably
not be necessary.

If it were just the tendency of unbalanced parts to jiggle loose and
cause damage, I might agree with less secure packing, but face it ...
it's how the shippers these days manhandle packages that's the real
problem.

Case in point:  My son plays keyboards and uses a "Motion Sound"
Leslie speaker emulator which he had to ship cross country for
repairs.  He took it to FedEx, and they packed it for him in their
own box with their own packing materials for protection.  It arrived
at the company with the outer case of the Motion Sound BROKEN!!  This
is a case similar to what is used for amplifier cases... 3/4" wood
[albeit probably pressed wood or the like] covered in black nubby
cloth or vinyl fabric and screwed to the board base with the
revolving horn and electronics mounted on it; IOW, completely
enclosed and about 22"x24"x8" in size.  All I can figure is someone
MUST have dropped it from significant height to have produced this
kind of damage!

"Fragile" on packages apparently means nothing judging by how many
things I've received busted in the mails in recent years.  And this
treatment seems to be getting worse all the time, regardless who's
doing the shipping.  So, yeah, if I were sending a treasured amp, I'd
at least try to secure the speaker and parts inside or pack them
separately if possible; even so, I'd fret every moment until I knew
it had arrived intact!  Or at all!!!

Bobbie