Re: Unusual Amp. Mod question

In a message dated 4/8/03 4:36:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, gkester@xxxxxxxx
writes:

> Dear Harp-L Folks,
>
> I have a somewhat unusual problem vis a vis amp. volume. I play with an
> acoustic guitarist and a pedal steel player (folk, blues stuff). We
> usually play in coffee houses, etc. (small venues, relatively quiet). I
> play some songs through an SM57 into the PA but we also do some blues
> things where I like to have a bit more of a distorted sound. I've been
> using a great little amp (a '59 Gibson Skylark) with an Electrovoice
> 638. I love this combination, the tone is crunchy but not TOO
> distorted. The problem is that even this little 5 watt amp can be TOO
> LOUD! It's got surprising volume for such a small amp, and if I get it
> past 4 or so on the volume pot it's too much. It's frustrating to not
> be able to get the tone I want out of the amp, but I can't drown out my
> band mates either. Our guitarist said it might be possible to have an
> amp. tech. wire a (switchable) resistor to the speaker line that would
> allow me to keep the tone at a lower volume. Has anyone done this? I'm
> really reluctant to meddle with this amp and I don' t want to do this
> if it won't make a significant difference. I also thought about using a
> Harp Commander (either with the amp, or just with the SM57 into the
> PA), but I'd really like to know if it would help my volume problem
> before spending that kind of money. Any thoughts? I know harp players
> usually have the opposite problem (can't get enough volume), so maybe
> this is a rare situation.
>
> Thanks,
> Grant Kester
> gkester@xxxxxxxx

Grant,

 As a former owner of the Blonde Gibson Skylark I have to agree that it is
the loudest 5 watt amp ever made by man. When I used the amp I never turned
the volume past 3 or 4 depending on the room. The EV 638 through that amp is
a good mic (I still think the Shure 57 with an impedence converter is
better). My advice is to grab a 12AT7 or 12AY7 and stick it in the preamp
section. I did some tube swaps with mine and it did wonders for the amp. It
tamed its volume and gave the amp a bit smoother breakup as well. Preamp tube
swaps are a better way to go, all the other mods sound like sheer lunacy
(Which is not stretch when it comes to the typical guitar player), and I
wouldn't give them a second thought. Angela.com or Ebay are great places to
grab tubes for low $. Trust me, try the tube swaps first, its less expensive
and it won't ruin your amp.

Andrew

P.S. Harmonica has a percieved volume which is a bit greater than other
instruments (Trumpet and sax also do as well). Even though they may not be as
loud volume wise as a guitar is, it is percieved to be louder due to the
frequency that the harmonica produces. That is probably what your bandmates
are referring to. The best thing to do is to just turn down. Also try to play
as clean as possible amplified, the further the sound goes out, the more
distorted it will get anyway due to phase cancellation and frequency
coupling. Most professionals try not to play real distorted on stage due to
this (AC/DC is a good example of this, as is Clapton). My 2 cents.