Fw: Unusual Amp. Mod question

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <PL500@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; <gkester@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: Unusual Amp. Mod question

> In a message dated 4/8/03 4:36:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gkester@xxxxxxxx
> writes:
>

> > Dear Harp-L Folks,
> >
> > I have a somewhat unusual problem vis a vis amp. volume. <HUGE
SNIP> Any thoughts? I know harp players
> > usually have the opposite problem (can't get enough volume), so
maybe
> > this is a rare situation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Grant Kester
> > gkester@xxxxxxxx
> >

> Grant,

<SNIP>My advice is to grab a 12AT7 or 12AY7 and stick it in the preamp
> section. <SNIP> It
> tamed its volume and gave the amp a bit smoother breakup as well.
<SNIP>
> Andrew
<SNIP>
I hpe I'm not out of line, but I feel compelled to cut in here...
I'm kinda new to this - not a pro by any means - I just made the same
tube mods Grant recomends to a couple of my amps - for exactly the
OPPOSITE reason - that is, for MORE volume, not less.
I put in pre-amp tubes with LESS gain, so I could turn my amps UP
LOUDER, drive the amp harder with the Mic,  and avoid feedback. As I
understand (Grant, please correct me if I'm wrong), the pre-amp tubes
don't have anything (directly) to do with volume -that's the
power-tubes job (right?). Swapping pre-amp tubes just changes how hard
the power tubes are DRIVEN (they're also called "Driver Tubes") at a
given "volume" setting.
If you were to use a Power Soak, or Attenuator on the amp, you could
still drive the amp to break-up, but at lower volumes.
But BE CAREFUL when considering an attenuator - a cheesy one can kill
your amp (I'm told).

(BTW, 5-watt Amp can be quite loud - as loud as a trumpet!)

If you want "that sound" at lower volumes, without modifying your amp,
I'd recommend a Harp Commander.
http://www.holmeseng.com/HarpGear.html
(Usual disclaimer here)

- -Dane