Marley

Rainbow Jimmie said [in part],

<Subject:  What is reggae?

<If you want a practice tape to play along with,
<with a world class rhythm
<section, I reccommend Bob Marley and the
<Wailers's Burning CD. For leads,
<pay attention to the guitar and the
<keyboards. Everything is restrained,
<cool, tasteful-the groove and the melody
<are emphasized.

I noticed this too. Though I don't, anymore, like
reggae that much, Bob Marley is a great example of
someone fully exploring a groove [not unlike, in many
ways, Muddy Waters does with Blues- you can get a band
playing every dang note exactly where they belong; and
it still doesn't touch what he does with it]. I like
practicing 1st and third position stuff to Marley.
There's a lot of room for experimenting and it's also
good for finding hooks and practcing the idea of
~variations on a theme~.

In the same vein, I find any ~Boogie-Woogie~ music is
fantastic to jam/practice riffs/routines/scales to. My
son's keyboard, for instance, can be set to play
~Boogie Woogie~ over and over, and one can practice
anything from ~Juke~ to LW's ~My Babe~ to ~Whammer
Jammeer~ withour pausing- not to mention just about
any other Blues ~theme~ if you just vary the speed. I
have [what i call] a Boogie Woogie by Kid Ramos [name
escapes me] now that I can practice hours to.

I'm tempted to joke, ~What IS Boogie Woogie~, but you
got that covered.

Robb