Re: Was "Mini Mics"

After reading the original post and checking out the site in the post and
Microvox's site, I decided to buy one.   Then my cat got sick and decided to
eat my wife's hand rather than the pill she was trying to feed it, putting
her out of work for a while, and my disgressionary income became, uh,
non-disgressionary.....   I've been tinkering off and on for months with
various mics.  My favorite up till now has been a dynamic capsule ripped out
of a cheap RadioShak mic and hard-wired to an Altoid box with a impedence
transformer and volume pot, beats my Shaker and Shure vocal mic's all to
hell, and the element fits right in my hand with a little finger clip.  I was
browsing around in RadioShak again two days ago, and picked up a clip-on
electret mic similar to the Microvox.  I was absolutely stunned by the sound
it produced, beats my hand-made job by a mile.  Hand effects are incredible,
overdrives with a loose cup,  crunches and doubles in volume with a tight
cup.  All this for $25.  It has a little power supply that clips to your belt
with a cheesy little on-off switch.  Has an 1/8" plug so I use an adapter to
plug into an amp.  High impedence, so it doesn't need a transformer.   Feeds
back  at the same settings as my other mics,  but I can get more volume.
Judging from what I could see on Microvox's site, the major difference
between the power supplies is that their's is set up to handle and balance
two microphone's and has the volume control and plugins, where the RadioShak
is harwired inline, so any difference in sound would be in the mic itself.  I
plan on cobbling the RadioShak power supply into a box with a volume control
anyway, so I should be able to try out just the microvox mic itself, if I can
get it separately.  According to the testimonials, the MV doesn't feed back.
I am curious as to why not?  That alone would be worth the price.

Greg T Hill
Today is Sweetmorn, the 28th day of Discord in the Year of Our Lady of Discord
3169