Re: Florida Philharmonic Review

Dear David,

I was never offended by your comments.  As far as my harmonica playing and
career goes, I never look over my shoulder, only ahead to the new. I really
don't have the time plus in order to get here you have to overcome the "you
will never be able to make a living playing the Harmonica" people.

Somebody wrote:
>Harmonica players in general get dissed in reviews by non-players and the
>ignorant at large.
>When they do give us a review it's luke warm as in "the harmonica player was
>admirable."

You would have loved the reviewer at the Florida Philharmonic - and it was
a "good" review, but while I was signing CD's, the reviewer came to me and
asked about the encores and I said they were a Tributes to SBW, Junior
Wells and Muddy Waters.  He was from Brazil and knew Villa-Lobos quite
well, but he had no idea who Muddy Waters was! This would be like me
reviewing a Gershwin piece in Brazil, but not knowing who Jobim was!

Anyhow, This season I pulled away from the Villa-Lobos Harmonica Concerto,
which all the conductors ask for because I recorded it on RCA, and played
the Vaughan Williams Romance and the Arthur Benjamin Hamonica Concerto plus
the Hohvahness Folk Dances.

I have been asked to record the Tcherepnin Harmonica Concerto which I also
have added this season.  With the new Richard Einhorn Cantata for Sep 11th
I did with the Albany Symphony and Mezzo Lucy Beer and the new Harmonica
Concerto by Bill Bolcom will come up in a few seasons with the Minnesota
Orchestra.  I have so much work to do just to keep up with the repertoire;
the classical world is one quite separate from most harmonica music.

But, I love to meet and talk with other harmonica players at my concerts.
The harmonica is great instrument and I love to see someone else that is
thrilled with it's capabilities, no matter what kind of music they play.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio