Fwd: Live Butter comments.....

Tom Ellis asked me to post this to the list in reply to my post about the
Butterfield Live lp.

mike e.
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:09:48 -0500
To: Diachrome@xxxxxxx
From: Tom Ellis <tomsmics@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Live Butter comments.....

Mike:  I seem to be having trouble getting things to Harp-L, so maybe
you'll post this response to you comments on the Live Butter LP.  I do have
the Downbeat review, but why bother?  Let's answer your questions instead.
The 2CD boxset I did for Elektra was a complete labor of love for all
involved, and the outgoing president of the label was a huge Butter fan who
basically strongarmed everyone at WEA into doing the before his departure.
The sequencing of the songs was a problem because Elektra only wanted to
allow us 64 minutes per CD so the discs would play completely on "old" CD
technology--as you are aware newer players, even then in the late '90s,
will run well in excess of 75 minutes.  I had originally sequenced "Number
Nine" into second CD list.  However, as we were doing the roughs we
discovered that MANY of the times listed on the LPs were wrong, and we had
to go back and rework the playlists for both.  Number Nine was a
consequence of this problem.  So were a couple of other cuts;  had I been
allowed the maximum running time for the CDs this would not have been so.

The Live LP will probably not be released, since many of the cuts are on
the boxset.  I'm sorry to say this, but it's so.  Maybe Sundazed or another
label will release it, as "Smilin.", "Dream" and others have been.  I sure
hope so because that Live LP is one mother!  TOM