Playing in C

hey y'all,

   ok, this may seem like a stupid question, but i need help. i'm playing
with a "band" of sorts and we're doing a few tunes in C. we can't change the
key because the singer can't sing them in any other key (most of the other
songs are in G or D). i find C a real pain to play in, because it's either
regular F harp which is too high (hard to bend the low notes, the high notes
call dogs) or a low F, which is OK on the high end but kind of boring, and
the low end is sluggish and easily lost in the mix. my parts are mostly horn
parts, and i mostly need the C major scale plus Eb and Bb (and Gb
sometimes). any tips?
   one thing i thought of for one song, at least, is to play chromatic. but
i'm not proficient on chro really, and i'd just be learning those parts
(solos would be real tough), and i'd have to learn them fast...
   the answer may be obvious (become a better player or layout...) but if
anyone has any tips or tricks, i'd welcome them.

    thanks in advance,
                     --Jp