Re: Interesting Blues Challenge experience

In a message dated 4/13/03 10:44:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dlj@xxxxxx
writes:

> My band entered the Blues Challenge (the one with the finals in Memphis)
> hosted
> by a "blues society" based in a town about 60 mi away.  This "blues
> society" is
> substantial in that it hosts a nationally known annual three day festival.
> Three other bands, all local, played, and two would advance to the next
> round.
> We put together, practiced and executed a pretty nice set (sounded fine in
> the
> house as captured on a minidisk  player).  Before the winners were
> announced, a
> judge approached my band mate and said that were were the best band, but
> that
> they needed to advance bands that played rock, because rock was needed to
> do
> well in the finals.  When the judging criteria which include blues content
> was
> pointed out, he said said he needed to move out of swinging range, and
> split.
> Apparently, only home boys need apply.

Yo man,

Screw those people, most of those guys would probably get a beat down on the
South Side anyway. If you play real Blues, and do it honestly be prepared to
be blackballed by the two inch crowd of pretentious Blues rawkers who somehow
think if they can play a million notes per second that will somehow make them
as great as Muddy. I would advise carrying a gun when you play places like
this, just in case you do actually beat them out and the locals get restless.
You wanted to play the Blues, disrespect is part of the game. Most of these
guys are old washed up rock'n rollers who somehow think they can fake this
fine tradition by wearing obnoxious hats and soloing out of key. Screw that
town, write a good song about them and be honest......after what they did to
you, they deserve at least that much.

Andrew