Re: Playing in C

In a message dated 4/14/03 11:26:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
coquiblues@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> hey y'all,
>
>    ok, this may seem like a stupid question, but i need help. i'm playing
> with a "band" of sorts and we're doing a few tunes in C. we can't change
> the
> key because the singer can't sing them in any other key (most of the other
> songs are in G or D). i find C a real pain to play in, because it's either
> regular F harp which is too high (hard to bend the low notes, the high
> notes
> call dogs) or a low F, which is OK on the high end but kind of boring, and
> the low end is sluggish and easily lost in the mix. my parts are mostly
> horn
> parts, and i mostly need the C major scale plus Eb and Bb (and Gb
> sometimes). any tips?
>    one thing i thought of for one song, at least, is to play chromatic. but
>
> i'm not proficient on chro really, and i'd just be learning those parts
> (solos would be real tough), and i'd have to learn them fast...
>    the answer may be obvious (become a better player or layout...) but if
> anyone has any tips or tricks, i'd welcome them.
>
>     thanks in advance,
>                      --Jp

Jp,

Try 3rd position on the Bb harmonica. That will allow you to hit the C, Bb,
and Eb without bends, as well as the Gb on the 3 draw fully bent, and the 6
draw bent a half step down. The Eb is also hit with the 2 draw bent a whole
step as well. For a chart on this try <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/";>The Diatonic Harmonica Reference</A>. They
have a Layout Generator that can help with all that stuff.

Andrew