From: Tim Northcutt [mailto:hotrodmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 8:53 AM
To: 'wmharps@xxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: Playing in C

Jp wrote:
> i find C a real pain to play in, because it's either
> regular F harp which is too high (hard to bend the low notes, the high
notes
> call dogs) or a low F, which is OK on the high end but kind of boring, and
> the low end is sluggish and easily >

Mighty Tim Moyer sez>

"First I Look at the Purse", Magic Dick Salwitz uses an interesting
technique.
The rhythm part, admittedly very simple, is played on a Bb harp in 3rd
position,
and when it comes to the solo, Dick pulls out the regular F harp and wails.
This is very effective, as the rhythm parts tend to fold into the background
very well in the lower register, and the higher register F harp cuts through
the
noise to stand out well for the solo.  If you want to stay in 2nd position
you
could achieve a similar effect by switching between a low F for the rhythm
and
the regular F, or --even better-- use an F Hohner 365 SBS (Steve Baker
Special),
which is like a regular F with an extra lower octave.  This harp covers it
all!>>

 Another, more elegant solution, would be to pick up one of Tim's T-Bone
harps in low F. There is no sluggish response on the bottom end of this
harp!
This is the first custom harp I ever owned, and to this day, it's still one
of my favorites. I've built hundreds of harps for myself and other folks,
but Tim's low F still goes in my pocket, in the car and the case. The low F
and one of my Marine Bands in A are my two favorite 1st position machines.
 Tim
...nothing beats a hot rod
www.hotrodharps.com