Re: Kim Wilson and song writing in general

alciere@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< A friend lent me a Kim Wilson tape-succintly marked Kim Wilson in nice
block
 printing on a generic cassette. Nice music, excellent musicianship. The harp
 playing was damn near perfect. Despite all that, the songs didn't do it for
 me. Formulaic, kind of flat. I wasn't enamored with the singing either.

 It's hard to write a good song. I think the early 50s was a golden age of
 blues not only because of the musicians,though they were superb,but also
 because Willie Dixon wrote such great songs.  >>

by and large, i think you buy a kim wilson album for the harp playing.  he's
also a really good singer, and he always has good musicians around him.  he
also has great taste in cover material.  i would agree that, to my tastes,
his songwriting mostly tends to be a little on the plain side.  at least he
doesn't write joke-type songs.
i would also agree that writing a good song ~is~ really hard, as someone has
already said.  writing great songs...man, how do they do it?  often the
reason people write is for the royalties (not to accuse wilson of this...he
actually does more covers than originals).  i remember listening to shemekia
copeland's first album, and wondering why such a great voice was wasted on
mediocre material, and then i noticed that over half of the songs were
co-written by her manager/producer.  better than re-doing old warhorses, but
there's lots of really good and neglected songs waiting to be rediscovered.

steven j gatorman