Re: Kim Wilson thread

Dry? Tigerman is a monster of a record. Great song selection, great singing
(ie, Trust My Baby) and excellent playing. In fact all three of the blues
project albums are outstanding and it's not just Wilson who makes them
great. Check out the two guitar parts on She's My Baby, for example. Plus
these are brilliantly recorded albums with big, airy room sounds (as opposed
to most Alligator records!) and a great vintage vibe - especially on My
Blues.
Wilson may not be in the same class as, say, Rick Estrin or Robert Cray (ie,
clever and prolific), when it comes to songwriting but he has written some
great tunes. Check out Lowdown Woman and Dirty Work, and Please Don't Lie To
Me, etc, etc.
I do, however, agree with the Mark Hummel comment - his studio stuff is not
my bag (but, hey I haven't heard it all) but his live stuff is excellent.
Drew
>From: harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>To: harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Digest Number 658
>Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:28 PM
>

>Kim's solo studio albums do sound a bit dry - another example of how
>difficult it is to capture the essence of live performance onto a studio
CD.