Re: Speaker Time?

Hi Vince,

You don't mention impedence loads for either case. Be sure to replace the
speakers with items of the same impedence. You can measure the DC resistance
by connecting a VOM accross speaker terminals (if the impedence is not
stamped on the speaker's basket), a 4ohm speaker will read around 3.2 ohms,
an 8 ohm might read around 6.4 ohms, give or take an ohm.

Why not get the originals reconed?

1) Ideally the combined speaker wattage rating should at least be that of the
amp (as you state 60W a piece). You may get away with a bit less wattage if
the amp is solely used for harp but that's your money and your risk. Specific
speaker choice is quite a personal thing and 12's are not necessarily the
easiest speakers to get driving (is it possible to try different 2x12
cabs/speakers, perhaps a bandmate's?). I strongly recommend trying before you
buy. Is the amp a combo? If not, a new/different cab with 4 or 6x10" may be a
better way to go (see www.hoffmanamps.com for speaker wiring diagrams). Don't
 necessarily assume that the higher the wattage the  cleaner the speaker,
look for high SPL. Never turn on an amp without a speaker load attached.

2) I have tried half a dozen different new 8" @ 4ohm speakers in my small
amps, my favourite is the Kendrick (around $70), not a totally fair
comparison as the other makes were not quite in the same price bracket but
the Kendrick delivered the goods.

Regards, Mark.