harp class at High School

Chris Michalek and Tom Waylon are in town on their way
to San Diego.  They spent a couple of hours at the
school I work at and taught some music along with some
great performances.  This was a class of beginning
Jazz performers from 13 to 18 yrs old.  A perfect
group for such a Jazz duo as Chris and Tom.  Starting
with Summertime and moving to rock to swing to blues
they played with and without the band.

Then as a history class with a musician for a teacher
caught wind of what was going on in the music
building.  In that class was a singer for the older
jazz combo so they did Stormy Monday one of her songs.
 After that Chris got her to scat along with some free
form jazz.  The girl had never done this type of
singing but had the range and ear to do it, and Chris
recognized this after playing the one song with her.
Later they played with a percussion class and played
almost any style the students came up with.

I was of course impressed with the smoothe runs and
powerful dynamics Chris used.  I was even more
impressed with how he worked with the students to draw
them out and and get them playing above their heads.
Anybody in San Diego this weekend wants to get over to
Harmonica Johns Harp happening and hear all the good
talent.  That is why Tom was in town from Minneapolis,
to play with Chris at this weekend's bash in San
Diego.  A lot of you know Chris way better than I but
I am sure glad to get to know such a fine musician and
friend.

LennyHarp
http://search.yahoo.com