Re: Songwriting, Kim, etc...

hey all,

    i always find it interesting how some people like some aspects of an
artist's work and not others, but then there are people who feel the
opposite. i, for one, picked up my first Kim Wilson album (Tigerman) after
hearing about him so often on harp-l. truth be told, i was sorely
disappointed. i didn't much like his voice, and i found the songs to be...
uninteresting. his harp playing was amazing though. i picked up Jimmy
Roger's "Ludella" album though and to this day it's in my top 5 best blues
albums, period. everything is awesome, the harp doubly so!
    still, when Kim first played in my area, i went to see him. i was BLOWN
AWAY. his singing sounded more dynamic, his songs grooved, and his harp
playing was even better than it had been on disc. i even picked up another
album (Smokin' Joint) and i did like it better than Tigerman, but still not
as much as his live show. i've also preferred other recordings made of him
live. his recorded work, to me, sounds flat (i don't find this true of all
bands in a live vs. recorded setting). still and all, i consider him to be
one of the absolute, no-doubt, Masters of the blues harp,  as well as a
great musician.
    someone else mentioned that songwriting (at least for blues) ain't what
it used to be. i guess i'd have to agree, somewhat. there are a few modern
bands whose songs stick in my mind (both lyrically and instrumentally) and
in some cases i even think of them as 'classic': Lester Butler of the Red
Devils wrote some great tunes, IMO (and covered great tunes as well). The
guy from Tarbox Ramblers has written some good tunes as well. i'm still
waiting for another album by them. Keb' Mo' is another one. Stevie Ray
Vaughan wrote some great music. Taj Mahal. Satan & Adam wrote great blues
for our time, as someone else pointed out earlier. Otis Taylor too. i know
there's more, i'm just forgetting them momentarily.
   and lastly, one dude writing real good tunes RIGHT NOW! is Ryan Hartt (&
the Bluehearts). get their new CD, "Empty Wallet" and you'll be singing the
tunes for weeks to come. the title track is good, as is "The Hangout"
(which, actually, i think the drummer wrote...) , and "Natural Charms,"
which is my favorite new take on an old blues formula. imo, they beat Little
Charlie and the Nightcats all the way back to the West Coast. (i'll
understand if some find that opinion highly arguable ;).
    anyway... enough breathless enthusiasm. thing is, i think there IS good
writing out there, and good tunes too, for all kinds of blues.

                 --Jp