Re: Kim Wilson/Song writing

> Kim Wilson is the best living blues harp player and best blues harp
> player/singer/front man, IMO. Muddy Waters had some very nice things to
say
> about him, and Muddy played with some pretty talented harp players in his
> day.
>
> As far as his songwriting, that's not his strong suit, although I like the
> following songs he wrote: Wait on Time, Please Don't Lie to Me, Found a
New
> Love, Learn to Treat Me Right.
>
> As far as the best song writer/harp players, I'd have to go with James
> Harman, William Clarke, and Rick Estrin. All three just seem to have the
> capability to put together wit, feeling and variety. Just my humble 2
> cents....

I guess different people expect different things. The single reason I could
never get into Kim Wilson's stuff is the songwriting. I guess I'm not
capable of single out elements in music and enjoying the music because of
these elements. The whole has to be to my liking.

To me, the most interesting harp playing songwriters today would be Paul
deLay, Lee Sankey (a big Kiw Wilson fan, BTW ;-), Greg Szlapczynski, Clint
Hoover and Paul Reddick. These guys have nailed down both the lyrical and
the musical, never write songs that are just an excuse to play solos,
experiment with form and know how to write a catchy or interesting tune.

Just my two eurocents...

Ben FELTEN, Editor
www.planetharmonica.com