Harp Songwriters

Paul Delay, Jonathan Edwards, Clarke, Hummel, Harman,
Paul Lamb, Estrin, Kim Wilson, John Sebastian- - -
they did/do about as good as can be done in re-working
Muddy Waterish songs into something palatable for
bar-going moderns. Some add a little Swing Jazz, some
add a little country or gospel, some add a ton a
horns. Delay and Wilson add a balls-out appreciation
and understanding of the genre.

But- - - Szlapczynski, Clint
Hoover and Paul Reddick, as examples of superior song
writing??? Can you give me an example of lyrics Slap
wrote that even are intelligible through the song?

Robb [just checking that we're all using the same
currency]
[the writer, ahem, of ~Deal 4 You~, btw]
http://mp3.com/robbingham

> Kim Wilson is the best living blues harp player and
best blues harp
> player/singer/front man, IMO. Muddy Waters had some
very nice things to
say
> about him, and Muddy played with some pretty
talented harp players in his
> day.
>
> As far as his songwriting, that's not his strong
suit, although I like the
> following songs he wrote: Wait on Time, Please Don't
Lie to Me, Found a
New
> Love, Learn to Treat Me Right.
>
> As far as the best song writer/harp players, I'd
have to go with James
> Harman, William Clarke, and Rick Estrin. All three
just seem to have the
> capability to put together wit, feeling and variety.
Just my humble 2
> cents....
- ---------------------
<I guess different people expect different
<things. The single reason I could
<never get into Kim Wilson's stuff is the
<songwriting. I guess I'm not
<capable of single out elements in music and enjoying
<the music because of
<these elements. The whole has to be to my liking.

<To me, the most interesting harp playing
<songwriters today would be Paul
<deLay, Lee Sankey (a big Kiw Wilson fan,
<BTW ;-), Greg Szlapczynski, Clint
<Hoover and Paul Reddick. These guys have nailed down
<both the lyrical and
<the musical, never write songs that are just
<an excuse to play solos,
<experiment with form and know how to write a catchy
<or interesting tune.

<Just my two eurocents...

<Ben FELTEN, Editor
<www.planetharmonica.com