Re: The prickly subject of reviewing/AHN-- longish

Greetings, harp fans: I concur with what Winslow has said about reviewing and
it is often a lose-lose situation.

I've always tried to follow the idea (I stole from literary criticism) that
focuses on
- --What is the artist doing?
- --How well was it done?
- -- Was it worth doing in the first place?

Basically, what this comes down to is providing enough information about the
book (harp) or CD so the reader can make up his/her own mind.

Consequently, I eschew statements about routine or average performances to
focus on what the performer is doing.

Of course, if I really like the album it's much easier to write because I
have more to say about it, without being fulsome.

Time is another issue. When I covered concerts (Ella Fitzgerald was one in
Detroit) I had to write it up the next day (I had already interviewed her on
the phone the day before the concert). When I write reviews nowadays for AHN,
I have to steal time between my two day jobs and I don't have the luxury of
spending a day on one review -- because I have to do several articles if I am
ever going to get done.

AHN often prints submissions from free-lancers: that mean's everybody other
than Phil and Al -- the only permanent staff.

I would rather have an enthusiastic reviewer tell why he/she really likes the
playing of somebody than have to listen to a CD of someone I've never heard
of before.

Often AHN runs reviews of one enthusiast whose comments range from "d--- fine
playing" to "he's a h----of a player" and I try to edit out the D' and H's
(sometimes I miss) and what is left is a "wow oh wow, what a great player and
great album" review. But it serves one purpose: points out the artist's new
release it out.

It also means that I don't have to run another picture of an antique
harmonica to fill the space. For those of you who don't publish and face
deadlines, this may be a novel concept.

In terms of recordings: It's really difficult to screw up classic blues
songs; it's really tough to make a great album of original blues songs. So
the covers usually turn out better than the "originals." But it's not a
matter of one is great and the other stinks.
It's just that it's tough trying to come up with a song that will match one
of Muddy's greatest, or the Big & Little Walter and Sonny Boy 1 and others.

If you like Howlin' Wolf, every Howlin' Wolf song is great because it comes
up to the standard.

I have purchased probably as many Rod Piazza CDs as I have received as
promotional review copies. I just recently received a compilation in the mail
that I have been listening to while driving back and forth to work. He was
always good from the start and he never put out a bad album. Some of the
songs are different from others, some are more bluesy or jazzy than others.
And it's often difficult to pick a favorite from an album. I know his next CD
won't have a clinker on the disc. But that is not the point: it's Rod has a
new album out and this is what it's like.

One of the biggest disappointment for a reviewer is being disappointed about
a book (or CD) that he had waited for and hoped to praise. (NYT reviewer said
that, but it has happened to me several times. I just can't NOT review the
book or CD. I want to cover it (in the newspaper sense) as a newsworthy item:
this is what is being released now. (American Harmonica Newsmagazine used to
be monthly, now every two months is still somewhat timely, I like to think.)

Some of the best sources sometimes disappoint.
Even the New York Times allowed someone to confuse Big Walter Horton with
Little Walter in a review recently.

A defunct blues magazine once blasted the then-latest album of a guitar
player who had played in the Muddy Water's band for being a terrible playing
just ripping of Muddy's legacy. Only problem was, review had the WRONG album
name and other glaring errors (did he misspell the guitarist's name?) that
made it clear the reviewer just didn't like the guitar player.

Mostly, I read lots of reviews on the AP feed to the newspaper where I work
on the copy desk and in the slicks: Time, Newsweek, Entertainment Weekly,
People, Esquire, Playboy -- then I check them out on the Web for more
details.

I never heard of Nora Jones until the New York Times started doing feature
stories on her -- before the Grammy's, and ended up buying her CD and DVD.

Even articles written AGAINST movies, books or CDs sometime persuade me to
watch them or purchase them because I disagree with the importance of the
writer's objections.