re: songwriting

Writing a good song is difficult.I write songs all the time (I didn't say I
write good songs) and I constantly have to balance my desire to show off on
the harp with my desire to write a good song.

In popular music you need a catchy melody, good singing and a good rhythm
section. A great rhythm section can hold down a monstrous groove and still
leave tons of space for the singer.Listen to Aretha if you don't know what I
mean. Paul Butterfield took Howling Wolf's rhythm section with him.

The song also has to change. There's the typical verse, chorus, and bridge,
but there's more to it than that. Listen to your favorite songs. Usually
they build up the energy on the second chorus, then there's a pause to catch
your breath, then a solo. Tension and release, just like playing harp. With
the harp you use tremelo, bends, and dynamics to build tension. You hit a
blue note, then you resolve it.Even hard rock bands like the Doors had quiet
parts in their songs.For harp players, learn how to play in several
positions. You can play part of a song in A 2nd position, and switch harps
for the chorus playing in 1st, or 3rd or 11th. Change things a little.

Lyrics are a lot trickier. I want to tell you that good lyrics are essential
but they're not. I love hearing A3 sing "The Night We Nearly Got Busted" but
Bo Diddley's Mona is one of my favorite songs and the chorus is just "hey,
hey, hey, hey, hey hey Mona". For the harp player-the vocalist is the star
during the chorus, stay out of the way

So what's this got to do with harp? First off, harp is an excellent
instrument to write melodies. Bang out simple chords on a piano with your
left hand and play along on the harp. Instant melodies. Second, no matter
how good your harp playing is, if it doesn't help the song it gets chucked.
This is hard on the ego but performing music is always hard on the ego.Even
John Popper, who probably plays more notes per song than anyone, leaves
plenty of space. His playing suits the song.Stevie Wonder, a monster harp
player, plays a cool simple first position solo on "Boogie on Reggae Woman".

Your job as a harp player is to play songs, whether they're your songs or
someone else's. You need to know the basics of song structure so you can
help the song, not drag it down.Know when to rev up, know when to hold back.
It comes with time, practice, and lots of listening.If you're lucky, you'll
get to play in a band with a good music director. Take notes.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals