Songwriters

I'd asked about Annie raines being listed as
somebodies example of a great Lyric/song writer.
AW said :

<From memory she wrote a couple of the tracks <on
'Goin' to the Country'
<which, while not great, are pretty good. But I could
<be wrong. If I am, I
<suppose the inference is that that also draws into
<doubt Oscher, Portnoy,
<Zinn and the other's writing abilities?

I asked about Annie, not to give anyone a hard time,
but for the same reason I asked about Szlapczynski.
Their writing-skills [or dearth thereof, to my ear] is
what makes me unable to keep a whole cd playing to
it's end. Portnoy's musical skills are enough to
sustain you- if you're in the mood, but he is no
master lyric writer, no?

I don't claim to have the answer, but people like
DeLay and Clarke don't seem to be phoning the lyrics
in [~Just a Great Big Kid~ FITS the music to a T,
nicht war?]. Again, it's not so much about ~what I
like~, as it's about ~the text passing seamlessly with
the music~. For instance while listening to
Muddy/Willie you don't ever [as lame as the lyrics
might be] think, ~Gee. That doesn't really fit~. The
text never feels patched in. The music and lyrics seem
to have evolved at the same time or in a similar way:
[ex: ~I Live The Life I Love And I Love The Life I
Live~]. With Rod Piazza, and even Mr. Wilson, it often
does [feel patched in, like wearing sunglasses or
slicking back the hair. An after-thought]. With Raines
and Slap, the lyrics REALLY sound tacked on. So I
wondered at the homage.

Anyway. No offence intended.
Robb [who NEVER phones it in, and still is often
boring]
http://mp3.com/robbingham
http://search.yahoo.com